Sunday, January 4, 2009

Look what came in the post today!




I had major surgery on the 12th of December. It involved a five day stay in hospital which I thought would be a welcome break with lots of lovely hands to massage my back and and bring me numerous cups of tea whilst I swanned around in a negligee receiving dozens of well wishers. Well, the reality was far different! I had to wear hideous support stockings on my lower legs and after drainage tubes were removed, I was pretty much left to fend for myself by the hospital staff who were quite simply run off their feet. My husband was working during my hospital stay and hates hospitals at the best of times, so although he visited at the end of each shift the pain medication I was taking had usually wiped me out. I did have lots of visitors though and received some beautiful plants.
There was definitely no swanning around in negligees, rather a slow shuffle in sensible cotton pjs to counteract the Darwin heat! My MIL was looking after the boys and she brought them in for a visit the day after my surgery. I'd lost a lot of blood during the surgery, requiring a transfusion, and I was really pale. Combined with my dark hair, my pale face scared the boys. After five days in hospital I was champing at the bit to go home.
The first few weeks at home I drove myself nuts with boredom. I'd thought I could do so much more but couldn't. So what's a girl to do? Jump online and do some shopping! Well it arrived today and here is my booty!
The first picture is of a set of 1950's 10" layer cake squares, yellow homespun inner border and blue spotty outer border to make a lap sized quilt. I love these quick and easy quilts, because I know I can cut, sew and assembly in the one day and finish a top.
I also bought a peg bag kit so I am ready to sew straightaway in fun, funky colours in the second picture.

1 comment:

Lynda said...

SO is that a bundle of Bee's Knees fabric?? You should go back through me blog and find my quilt I am making with it. What a lovely parcel!!!!